What Bioware cannot do and I can...  

Write a better story? Check.
Create better levels with realistic lighting? Check.
Create more complex characters each with their own lives/opinions/agendas? Check.
Tie all these together into a module better than the official campaigns? Check.
.
.
.
.
Well, maybe :)
What Bioware cannot do and I can is take a break!

The past two days have been extremely hectic at work, so much so that work has spilled over into the evenings at home. I've ran into a bug that's driving me nuts and is likely to be a show-stopper for the project go-live if I don't get it resolved soon.

Added to that, I've been experiencing writer's block - totally! I guess it's because by the time I fire up the toolset, I'm mentally drained from work (don't you dare tell me otherwise! :P). The inspiration just doesn't want to come. So, I've decided to take it easy for a couple of days. No Dragon Age stuff - I am going to spend whatever free time I have in the evenings to catch up on all the books I've downloaded to my Kindle!

The way I figure - better a couple of days off and come back with a fresh mind rather than trying to plug away at the Toolset and develop stuff I will have to rewrite/redesign later. I wonder what David Gaider does when he gets writer's block? Or Laidlaw runs into a wall with a design idea? Definitely not take a couple of days' break, I bet!

2 comments

  • Challseus  

    November 9, 2010 at 8:40 PM

    I hear ya man. I go through the same thing every once in a while. My problem is I *never* take a break, and force my way through these things, which inevitably burns me out in the long run. Funny how I know what I should be doing, yet I don't.

    Anyway, props to you for taking a break. Hopefully, you come back fully super charged and ready to develop!

  • Jackkel Dragon  

    November 9, 2010 at 11:14 PM

    I'll bet Gaider and Laidlaw move on to some other aspect of their work, assuming there is something else to be done and time left in the deadline for the original work.

    I may also need to take a break from my module soon. Bug fixing and tweaking is burning me out. I could probably write new stuff instead of rewriting the old, but that will only get me so far before I need to do something else.

    Anyway, have a good time with your Kindle.

    - jackkel

Post a Comment